When it comes to fashion tips, it sometimes seems that everyone has tried-and-true style advice they absolutely swear by. Some are useful, while others … well, not so much. With that in mind, we’ve culled 10 style tips from the best: designers, lifestyle experts and, of course, our staff. Trust us: With these gems, you’ll be well on your way to living your most stylish life.
1. Use white wine to remove red wine stains.
- If you get an oil stain on your favorite handbag, coat the mark with baby powder and let it stand overnight. By morning, the stain should be gone. If a bit still remains, repeat the process until the stain is completely gone.
3. Wash new jeans twice before taking them to the tailor. Why? Because jeans will always shrink in length when washed.
4. The best at-home method to keep diamonds sparkling: liquid dishwasher detergent and an old toothbrush.
- The secret to well-fitting everyday clothes is Lycra. The formulas to look for: 95% cotton/5% Lycra spandex for T-shirts, and at least 2% Lycra for jeans to hold their shape.
6. Always organize your clothes going light to dark from left to right in your closet. Your eye will follow the color and thus help you stay organized.
7. Wondering about the quality of your cashmere? Gently stretch the body of the garment to see if it snaps back. A lower-quality cashmere won’t.
- If you don’t have time to try on jeans in the store, try the Neck Method: You can determine your size by placing the waistline of the jeans around the diameter of your neck. If the waistline of the pant comfortably meets at back of your neck, then the jeans will fit.
9. Never put your swimwear in the washing machine, and always hand dry. The machine will damage the suit and it will lose its elasticity.
10. Cut down your closet by 25% by asking yourself this one question: “If I were shopping right this second, would I buy this?” If the answer’s no, out it goes.