Hyperpigmentation is a common, usually harmless condition in which patches of skin become darker in colour than the normal surrounding skin. This darkening occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin colour, forms deposits in the skin.
You can get rid of hyperpigmentation naturally with the help of some simple and easy home remedies.
This natural bleaching agent can effectively fade dark blemishes on your skin.
- Extract fresh lemon juice and rub it on the skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Follow this remedy twice daily for a few months until you notice improvement.
Note: Those who have sensitive skin must dilute the lemon juice with a little water before using it.
2. Raw Potato
Potatoes contain catecholase, an enzyme that is believed to help lighten skin tone.
- Peel a potato and cut it into thick slices. Put a few drops of water on the surface of a potato piece and then rub it on your skin for five to 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this three or four times a day for at least a month.
- Grate one medium-size potato and squeeze the juice out of it. Add an equal amount of lemon juice to it and mix well. Apply the solution on the pigmented area and leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes before washing it off. Do this twice daily for a month.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera can remove the dead skin cells and promote regeneration of new skin cells.
- Before going to bed, apply some fresh aloe vera gel on the hyperpigmented skin and leave it on overnight. Rinse it off in the morning. Follow this remedy daily for a few weeks to get positive results.
- Combine two tablespoons of aloe vera gel and one-half tablespoon of raw honey. Mix well and allow it to settle for 10 minutes. Now apply the mixture to the pigmentation and let it dry naturally. After 20 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water.
4. Orange Peel
Next time you eat an orange, keep the peel. It contains citric acid that has bleaching properties and can help get rid of dark patches on skin.
- Add one teaspoon each of lemon juice, milk and honey to one tablespoon of dried orange peel powder. Mix all the ingredients well to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply the paste on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes, and then massage gently.
- Finallywash it off with lukewarm water.
Enriched with fatty acids, vitamin C and oleic acid, avocados can effectively help reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation. Plus, the various enzymes and high amount of vitamin E in avocados can also reduce pigmentation.
- Mash one ripe avocado into a smooth paste. Apply the paste on the affected area. Leave it on for half an hour, and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy twice daily for at least one month to get positive results.