This especially for all our Igbo Brothers and sisters especially those lovers of this popular delicacy from the Eastern part of Nigeria called Abacha or African Salad.
The Lagos state commissioner of health, Dr. Jide Idris, has announced the deaths of 6 people while 39 others are under observation due to Cholera after eating Abacha.
The dead were said to be residents of Isolo LGA Lagos.
The commissioner said some of the patients didn’t show the classical rice-water stool; rather they presented typical diarrhea and vomiting.
He stated, “Six deaths were recorded among the 45 cases. The majority of the patients did not present with the classical rice-water stool, rather they presented with typical diarrhea and vomiting.
“After a thorough analysis of the anorectal swabs that were collected from 15 cases, vibrio cholerae was confirmed and found to be the Ogawa strain of the virus.
“Twenty-two of the 26 that were being managed at the Isolo General Hospital and the Lagos Mainland Hospital have been discharged, one died, while three are still on admission at the Lagos Mainland Hospital. The three patients are still on admission but they are in stable condition.”
Cholera is an acute diarrhoea disease with or without vomiting caused by bacteria referred to as vibro cholerae and it is transmitted through ingestion of food or water contaminated with infected faeces.
Idris said, “The main suspected source of infection is the salad called Abacha, a staple food that is consumed regularly in the area. Samples of the local salad and the well water they consume in the area revealed the presence of vibrio cholerae, Salmonella species, and E.coli in Abacha and the water sample was taken from one of the two wells in the area.”