Babies are hardly ever on time, so make sure you pack your hospital bags way in advance and keep them by the front door or in the car.
Here’s a list of items to pack in you and your little one’s hospital bags to prepare for the big day.
What to pack in baby’s bag:
- Light blankets or muslin wraps x 2
- Disposable baby wipes
- Babyface cloths x 2
- Newborn-sized dummy
- Newborn bodysuits x 2 each
- Newborn pyjamas if colder weather
- Socks x 2 pairs
- Cotton hat
- Going-home outfit
- Baby oil (great for cleaning up baby’s bottom after meconium nappies)
- Formula, bottles, teats, and sterilizing equipment if you plan to bottle-feed
- Wet wipes
- Baby blanket
- Baby powder
- Bum cream
· Keep plastic bags in your baby’s hospital bag, as certain liquids in the bag might spill and spoil your nappies and clothing. You can also use them to be more organised and know exactly where everything is.
· If you have animals at home, take a spare blanket to the hospital and transfer your baby’s scent onto it. This will help your pets adapt to your new addition.
In the countdown to your baby’s birth, make sure you have these essentials ready and packed in your hospital bag:
What to pack in your bag:
- A nursing bra
- Disposable underwear
- Sanitary pads
- Baby clothes for leaving the hospital
- A diaper bag with your newborn essentials and an extra blanket
- Arnica tablets for bruising after birth
- Warm socks
- A hot water bottle
- Your toiletry bag with a hairbrush, toothbrush, mirror, face cream and a few makeup essentials
- A book to read
- Soothing music on your iPod