Take your first date conversation to another level with these “get to know you better” topics. On a first date, striking up a conversation is crucial to a good date. Avoid moments of awkward silence with this list of 21 first date questions to ask your potential plus one.
When asking the questions, sincerely listen so you can hear the answers. Rather than quickly rushing to the next one on the list, go further and expand the conversation. If you ask “Do you like to travel?” and the answer is “Yes,” follow up with “Where are some places that you have been to?” and “What did you like about it?”
Use these prompt questions as ways to open up dialogue and start a two-way conversation. Keys to good communication are maintaining a healthy flow of interaction, staying on topic and allowing the other person to take their turn speaking.
Relax, have fun and keep the mood light. Unless the conversation naturally drifts in that direction, try to avoid heavy hitting topics such as religion, politics and human rights issues. Look at the first date as unpeeling the first layer of the proverbial love onion.
21 questions could lead to 100 more questions and getting to know each other better.
- Where did you grow up?
- Are you close with your family?
- Do you have any brothers and/or sisters?
- Do you have a favourite childhood memory?
- What did you want to be when you were a child?
- Where did you go to high school, college and/or grad school?
- Were you very social growing up?
- Who are the five people you are closest to in your life?
- Did you play sports?
- Do you watch sports and what are your favourite teams?
- What kind of music do you listen to and who is your favourite artist?
- What’s the last concert you have been to?
- What’s your favourite movie, book or TV show?
- Do you like to travel?
- Where else have you lived? Where would you want to live if you were to move?
- What do you do for a living?
- What do you do in your free time?
- Do you like to cook?
- What is your dream vacation?
- What’s the craziest thing you have ever done?
- If you were to be a certain age forever, what age would you want to be?