Thank you very much for your column, it has really helped in several areas.
It all started when my dad passed on. My uncle took up the responsibility of training me in the secondary school and also in the university. He dis-virgined me when I was 18years and he told me that he did it to protect me. we have been dating ever since.
I’m 25years of age and already working, ready to settle down. I want to put an end to the relationship cos I want a normal life and I want freedom but he has threatened to commit suicide if I do. The first time I called it off, he actually cut himself all over with blades and was rushed to the hospital
I don’t know what to do, he is my dad’s only surviving brother. please help, I don’t know what do. kindly advise.
thanks for your mail and nice comments.
At first glance, one could be tempted to dismiss your matter and condemn you and your uncle but I would be as professional as I can with this. I believe that your asking for help is an indication that you really need it.
- In certain parts of the world, for example, Pakistan, marriage to your uncle or cousin would be allowed but in the Nigerian society, it is considered a taboo to be sexually involved with your uncle. Unless your part of the country allows it. In fact, incest is a crime punishable by law in Nigeria.
- you need to understand that there can be no future with your uncle. No matter how much you both try unless you plan to elope and live a life of lies elsewhere. However think carefully about that.
- Having said that, I believe your uncle took advantage of your dependency on him when he became sexually involved with you. He shouldn’t have done that. You weren’t in the position to make the right choices and he knew that. He s also doing the same thing now by using blackmail to bend you to his desires. He has been and still is selfish.
- I would advise you forget about the past. Forgive him and move on. It is time to find your path and leave all the past behind. If he chooses to kill himself, allow him to. Then he can go answer to his god. Don’t allow such dramatics keep you in bondage. Your uncle is a sick man who needs help.
- Bottom line, please pursue your life and move on. However, expect threats and blackmails from him. People like this don’t just walkway and forget. He would find further ways to blackmail you. If possible move away from where you are and start a new life elsewhere far away from him.
Much Love, Davina
TO ALL DD READERS….
You can send your Dear Davina letters to me directly @ email@example.com. I assure you whatever you send to this mailbox is for my eyes only and I promise complete anonymity when I decide to publish your letter.
I look forward to hearing from you