These things are a must-have: they dramatically increase the number of exercises you can do in your hotel room, without adding much weight to your suitcase.
20-minute travel workouts
Both of the below workouts are timed, so you’ll need to download an interval timer app on your phone to keep track of the sets.
Program the timer to run for 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. After your warm-up, start the timer and do all eight exercises in your chosen workout. Take a minute-long break, then do all eight again.
Fact: I once did a variation of this workout on the banks of the Seine while visiting Paris with friends. The locals looked at us like we were doing voodoo — apparently, the French don’t work out, at least not in public.
- Seal jacks — like a jumping jack, but keep your hands at eye level instead of overhead.
- Frog squats
- Ice skaters
- Squat jumps — reach right down and touch the floor with your hands, then throw them overhead as you jump up. Do a regular bodyweight squat for a lower-impact version.
- High-knee run
- Mountain climber sprint
- Burpees — you didn’t think there’d be a bodyweight workout without burpees, did you?
Keep your resistance band close by when you start this workout.
- Sumo bodyweight squat — Stand with your feet wide, which targets a little more of your butt.
- Push-ups — here are my pointers on getting more from your push-up.
- Bent-over row
- Shoulder side raises
- Tricep kickbacks
- Bicep curls
- Stationary lunge — stay on the same leg for the first round of the workout, then switch to the second leg for the second.