There is coleslaw and then there is the Classic Creamy Coleslaw! On this page, you will see how to make this special salad sibling. Coleslaw is so versatile, you can eat it on its own because it is quite filling or you can serve it with Fried Meat, Nigerian Moi Moi, Fried Plantains, Grilled Chicken, Jollof Rice and many more Nigerian rice dishes.
Coleslaw is usually served chilled to allow the dressing settle into the vegetables.
- 1½ cups shredded red/purple cabbage
- 1½ cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup Salad Cream
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
Notes on the ingredients:
- If you do not have red cabbage, you can skip it and add more shredded carrots.
- I used the standard cup to measure the ingredients.
- The creamier you want the coleslaw the more salad cream, mayonnaise and ketchup you should add.
- My favorite brands are Heinz Salad Cream, Hellmann’s Mayonnaise and Heinz Ketchup.
All the vegetables need to be washed.
- Use a knife to cut the red cabbage and green cabbage into thin strips.
- Scrape the carrots then grate with a grater.
- Add the ingredients into a large bowl and stir till everything is well combined. For a better mix, you will need to add the vegetables, stir, add the dry ingredients, stir, add the wet ingredients and stir. See the video below to see how I did it.
- Chill and serve.
This Classic Creamy Coleslaw can be eaten on its own or as a side dish to Nigerian Moi Moi, Fried Plantains, Grilled Chicken, Jollof Rice, Coconut Rice, Fried Rice and other Nigerian rice dishes.