Club Sandwich may not be originally from Nigeria but Club Sandwiches are eaten a lot in Nigeria. We have taken this recipe from the West and completely made it our own, so much so that we now have Naija style Club Sandwiches.
Club Sandwiches are normally served on local Nigerian flights and exclusive hotels but you don’t have to be mile-high to taste this snack or breakfast recipe. It is so easy to make so you should make one for yourself right after reading this.
You can eat the Club Sandwich as a snack with a chilled drink or serve it as part of a breakfast meal. It is also an essential part of a packed lunch, just add fruits and a drink and you are sorted.
Ingredients you need for Club Sandwiches
The following are the quantities of ingredients you need to make a Club Sandwich for one person. Feel free to multiply the ingredients.
- 4 slices of bread (minimum)
- 1 egg (hard boiled)
- 1 fresh plum tomato (tomato Jos)
- 1 medium carrot
- ¼ small cabbage
- 2 pieces of Sardine
- 1 tablespoon margarine/butter
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
Preparation of Club Sandwich
- Wash all the vegetables very well.
- Scrape the carrot and remove the seeds from the tomato.
- Grate the carrot and cabbage using the small holes of a grater (see video below).
- Cut the tomato into very tiny pieces.
- Cut the hardboiled egg into tiny pieces.
- Add the mayonnaise to the carrot, tomato, egg and cabbage. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate plate, mash the sardine with a fork and mix with the margarine. Don’t worry if you don’t like the smell of sardines, the margarine helps reduce the strong smell.
- Using a bread knife, cut off the crusty ends from the slices of bread.
- Take one slice of bread, spread the margarine and sardine mix on one side of it and cover with the second slice of bread.
- Repeat the above step with the remaining two slices. By now you should have two separate slices of bread that are stuck together by the margarine and sardine mix, like this:
- Now, take the first 2 slices, rub the carrot, cabbage, tomato, egg and mayonnaise mix on one side of it and cover with the other two slices.
- By now, all the slices of bread should be stuck together with 2 fillings of the sardine and margarine mix and 1 filling of the mayonnaise mix in the middle like this:
- Cut the sandwich into desired shapes and sizes.