An Italian proverb says that Wise men learn by other men’s mistakes. Yes, it looks like Davido and his baby mama Sophia Momodu who have been in an open scuffle for the custody of their baby Imade have raised the olive branch… But at what cost??? We all saw the photo Sophia’s uncle, the famous Ovation publisher Dele Momodu posted on instagram on Saturday, the one of Sophia and baby Imade bonding in Davido’s father’s house. He captioned the image ‘All is well that ends well.’
and I could only just SMH! As I reflected on the entire drama that kept entertained us on social media plus all the memes and comments it generated, there are a few things I realised:
That many people think it is ok to become a baby daddy or baby mama as long as your wallet is full of cash.
That many people especially ladies who followed the embarrasing details of the story will still find themselves in the same situation despite the glaring lessons from the scuffle.
Valentines day is in a few weeks and many guys will still end up being baby daddies by November thus setting the stage for another new year baby drama.
For me however, it wasn’t just entertainment; I learnt a few lessons which I will gladly share with you simply because a world free from babby daddy and baby mama drama starts with you and I.
Now, grab your notepads!
- If he aint your husband, ladies keep those legs shut together like a maximum security prison- What if he has introduced me to his family and even proposed? Even if you’ve met his ancestors and he proposed to you with the Titanic as your gift? Girl, if he hasn’t walked you down that aisle and exchanged the sacred vows of marriage before God, it’s not worth the risk. For guys on the other hand, please save us all the drama and zip up till marriage biko. Y’all will have your ‘fun’ and when the chips are down we start hearing about how you were only 21 years old when you impregnated a 27 year old woman. I’m guessing that 21 year old man doesn’t know the location of the zipper in his pants abi?! Very Flimsy excuse.
- Getting Pregnant for a man doesn’t lead to automatic marriage – I am really baffled at people who still think that getting pregnant for a man will increase his love for them and ultimately lead to marriage. Hehe, I laugh in Russian. So, Sophia Momodu claims that Davido loved her when they procreated, what now happened to the love? Pregnancy out of wedlock is not a guarantee oooo Hian! Go ask Hagar the first baby mama in the Bible. Even though Sarah supported her ‘transaction’ with Abraham initially, when Isaac showed up, she was shown out the door but for God who mercifully provided for her and saw her through. Even the Nigerian law states that preganancy is not a grounds for marriage though new laws ensure that baby daddies take care of the children but more often than not, baby mamas don’t get upgraded to wives. Will Sophia and Davido ever walk down the aisle? Question for the gods.
- Being a baby mama is not a job! Get up and do something dignifying with your life – So, after some people heard the amount of money Davido gives Sophia Momodu monthly, they started considering halting their dreams of getting an education or leaving their 9am to 5pm job to become baby mamas who just take care of children and get paid like Bank executives. How about becoming a nanny for a wealthy family? I pity some people!
- Keep your personal business personal.The social media loves being entertained and only a few people actually care about your problems but many celebrities and public figures fail to realise this. There was no need to have Davido and Sophia’s business on social media. Uncle Dele Momodu knew the appropriate quaters to report the ‘abduction’ incident to. Davido even made things worse by publishing the medical report that allegedly proved that Sophia Momodu indeed had cannabis in her system. So one day, Imade will grow up and google out the silly mistake her parents made by airing their briefs in public. Chai!
- When two elephants fight it is the grass that suffers. At the end of the day and with everything that happened, baby Imade is the one worst hit. The 8-month-old now has health defects arising from being exposed to cannabis and what not. I think that is most unfair, Every child has the right to good parental care and protection from danger. Davido and Sophia failed to do those and the innocent child is paying for it with intensive trips to the hospital. My people, I tire o.
Anyway, looking forward, I hope both parents grow up and step up to their responsibilities as parents peacefully. For the rest of us, there is a path that seems right to a man but the end thereof is destruction. Let him/her who has ears hear!