Amidst the physical and mental exhaustion of looking after a baby, scheduling personal exercise ‘appointments’ is a great way for moms to prioritise some essential self-care and ‘me time’. Taking a break for physical activity also gets the endorphins flowing and as we all know a happy mom equals a happy family!
10 top tips to help moms manage the juggle
Having a baby and growing a family is not only special, it’s important work, too. However, with a small child and untold other responsibilities, it’s often a challenge for moms to simultaneously prioritise their own health and fitness objectives.
Johno Meintjes, founder of JEFF has put together these 10 tips for new moms:
- Be patient with yourself. Having a baby is a big deal. Expect everything to be different and be kind to yourself.
- It takes a village. Parenting is hard work. Create some space and avoid burnout by asking friends and family to occasionally step into the breach.
- Have a plan. Moms have enough on their mind. Allow JEFF to take care of meal preparation and an exercise planto bring structure in your busy mom life.
- Eat fresh and green!
- Happy mom, happy family. Self-care isn’t selfish, so make it a priority.
- If getting to the gym isn’t an option, base a workout around the kid/s. Sprints in the park, jumping jacks in the lounge, pram jogs… just get moving!
- Hydrate! This will help with cleansing toxins from your body, boosting your metabolism, and reducing bloat.
- Get the good stuff. Taking a break for physical activity gets the endorphins flowing. Remember, happy mom, equals happy family!
- Plan active mom dates. Instead of meeting the other moms for cake and tea, make an active meetup plan instead.
- Shop healthy food online to save time and avoid sugary temptations.