The latest Steven Spielberg action adventure movie ‘Ready Player One’ is the king right now on the box office with over $41.2 million over the three day weekend, bringing it to a $53.2 million total since its Wednesday night debut.
Ready Player One is based on the bestselling Ernest Cline novel of the same name. The movie is set in the year 2045, where people, depressed at the industrial wasteland the real world has become, escape to a virtual reality world called the OASIS.
The OASIS was created by the eccentric billionaire James Halilday (Mark Rylance), who leaves a digital Easter egg to pass on the ownership of the world after his death.
Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) joins the contest to find the Easter egg, but he soon realizes he is in over his head when he has to face off against a nefarious corporation run by Ben Mendelsohn’s Nolan Sorrento. Olivia Cooke, Lena Waithe, TJ Miller, Mckenna Grace, and Simon Pegg also star in the movie, which was directed by Spielberg based on a script from Cline and Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand).
Warner Bros. was initially projecting Ready Player One for somewhere around $45 million, but the movie was able to defy those early expectations thanks to positive reviews. (The movie currently sits at a 76 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.) The film has also been a hit with audiences, earning an A- CinemaScore. Internationally, it currently sits at $181.2 million. (via Box Office Mojo)
See the full list of the top 10 Weekend Box Office Gross below:
- Ready Player One: $41,210,000 (– percent), $53,215,000 Total Domestic Gross
- Tyler Perry’s Acrimony: $17,100,000 (– percent), $17,100,00 Total Domestic Gross
- Black Panther: $11,263,000 (-34.1 percent), $650,699,634 Total Domestic Gross
- I Can Only Imagine: $10,750,685 (-21.0 percent), $55,576,022 Total Domestic Gross
- Pacific Rim Uprising: $9,205,000 (-67.3 percent), $45,670,820 Total Domestic Gross
- Sherlock Gnomes: $7,000,000 (-34.0 percent), $22,820,646 Total Domestic Gross
- Love, Simon: $4,800,000 (-36.9 percent), $32,140,794 Total Domestic Gross
- Tomb Raider: $4,700,000 (-53.5 percent), $50,502,178 Total Domestic Gross
- A Wrinkle in Time: $4,694,000 (-42.9 percent), $83,250,414 Total Domestic Gross
- Paul, Apostle of Christ: $3,500,000 (-32.3 percent), $11,530,838 Total Domestic Gross