Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their HRH titles and will not receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace has announced.
For starters, they will be now simply known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex after being forced to drop their Royal Highness titles.
And Her Majesty laid down the law last night – saying they can “no longer formally represent” her despite the couple having insisted they wanted to “fly the flag” for the Queen after quitting the Firm.
In the decisive statement, the 93-year-old monarch also revealed the couple would pay back the £2.4m of taxpayer money spent on refurbishing Frogmore Cottage.
And the Queen appeared in good spirits this morning as she arrived for church at Sandringham with son Prince Andrew – her aides having struck a deal just days after she sat down with Prince Harry in crunch talks.
Under the new deal, Harry and Meghan will retain their HRH status — but agreed to not use their titles while trying to forge a new life in North America.
It means Harry has now been brought down to the level of 30 other Dukes in the UK.
One royal expert last night described the incredible Megxit deal as an “abdication” and said the Queen “has brought down the iron fist of monarchical leadership”.
The deal will start in the spring and follows a summit among senior royals last Monday to discuss the couple’s wishes to step back from frontline duties.
The Queen revealed details in an unprecedented statement last night.
She said: “Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.
“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much-loved members of my family.
“I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.
“I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.
“It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.”
Couple will still use Frogmore on UK visits
Under the terms of the deal, the couple will no longer be funded by the taxpayer through the Sovereign Grant after saying they want financial independence.
But Prince Charles will continue paying for Harry using his personal funds and money from the Duchy of Cornwall.
Last year, Harry and William shared around £5million, with an estimated £2.3million going to Harry and Meghan.
Harry and Meghan will remain Duke and Duchess and members of the Royal Family but will not use HRH titles in any new jobs.
Buckingham Palace issued a statement saying: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.
“As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from royal duties, including official military appointments.
“They will no longer receive public funds for royal duties.
“With the Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent the Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.
“The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.